This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Are you tired of wearing pants that are too long or too short? Do you want to know how much it costs to hem your pants? Hemming your pants is a simple alteration that can make a big difference in the way your clothes fit and look.
In this article, we will discuss the cost of hemming pants and everything you need to know before getting your pants hemmed.
Table Of Contents
The Cost of Hemming Pants
The cost of hemming pants varies depending on several factors, including the type of pants, the length of the hem, and the location of the tailor. On average, the cost of hemming pants ranges from $10 to $25. However, the cost can be higher for more complex alterations or if you go to a high-end tailor.
Factors That Affect the Cost of Hemming Pants
Type of Pants
The type of pants you want to hem is one of the most significant factors that affect the cost. Hemming jeans or pants made of heavy fabric like denim or leather will cost more than hemming lightweight pants like silk or cotton.
Length of the Hem
The length of the hem is another factor that affects the cost. Shortening the hem of your pants by a few inches will cost less than hemming a pair of pants with a significant length difference.
Location of the Tailor
The location of the tailor also affects the cost of hemming pants. Tailors in big cities or high-end neighborhoods may charge more than tailors in smaller towns or less affluent areas.
Average Prices for Hemming Pants
Here are the average prices for hemming pants based on the type of pants:
- Jeans: $15 to $25
- Dress pants: $10 to $20
- Women’s skirt: $10 to $20
- Shorts: $10 to $15
There may be additional costs associated with hemming pants, depending on the tailor and the type of pants. For example, if you want a double fold hem or a top-stitched hem, it may cost extra. If you need extra fabric to match a pattern or if you want to keep the original hem, it may also cost more.
Where to Get Your Pants Hemmed
There are several options for getting your pants hemmed, including tailors, dry cleaners, and alteration shops.
- Tailors: Tailors are the best option for complex alterations or high-end clothing. They can provide a professional look and a perfect fit, but they may charge more than other options.
- Dry cleaners: Many dry cleaners offer alteration services, including hemming pants. They may be a good option for simple alterations, but they may not have the same level of expertise as a tailor.
- Alteration shops: Alteration shops specialize in garment alterations and can provide a range of services, including hemming pants. They may be a good option for standard alterations, but they may not have the same level of expertise as a tailor.
Hemming your pants at home is a good way to save money and have creative freedom over your clothes.
- Try on your pants and mark the length of the fold with a pin.
- Remove the pants and measure the length of the fold.
- Fold the fabric at the marked point and create a clear fold crease.
- Use a measuring tape to ensure that the fold is at the correct length.
- Sew the hem using a standard straight stitch or a double fold hem.
- Trim any excess fabric and iron the hem.
Hemming your pants is a simple alteration that can make a big difference in the way your clothes fit and look. The cost of hemming pants varies depending on several factors, including the type of pants, the length of the hem, and the location of the tailor.
There are several options for getting your pants hemmed, including tailors, dry cleaners, and alteration shops. Hemming your pants at home is a good way to save money, but it requires some skills and tools.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the average price for hemming pants?
The average price for hemming pants ranges from $10 to $25, depending on the type of pants, the length of the hem, and the location of the tailor.
Can I hem my own pants at home?
Yes, you can hem your own pants at home, but it requires some skills and tools.
How long does it take to hem a pair of pants?
The turnaround time for hemming a pair of pants varies depending on the tailor and the complexity of the alteration.
What is the difference between a standard hem and a double fold hem?
A standard hem is a simple fold of the fabric, while a double fold hem is a more complex fold that creates a thicker hemline.
Can I keep the original hem when hemming my pants?
Yes, you can keep the original hem when hemming your pants, but it may cost more and require additional work.